Friday, October 7, 2011

The New Colt

Since we are completely new to having a foal here on the farm, I've been trying to educate myself on how to handle them properly in the beginning. We've been told by several folks that own horses that we should imprint the foal as soon as we can by getting out there right after it is born to rub all over it. Well, I didn't get out there right away, but I did manage to get my hands on him the same day he was born. I tell you that he is the sweetest little thing!  This photo was taken last week.

Dixie's Colt  1 week old

While looking up information on the web, I've noticed that it's almost like all other information out there........everyone has a totally different opinion on what is "right". I've read that you shouldn't start fooling with the colt until it gets weaned or even older; others say you should work with it a little everyday right after being born. Personally I don't know which way seems best since I have absolutely zero experience. I have come across one website that I really have enjoyed reading. It is by Julie Goodnight who has a show on RFD TV. I have come across some pretty good Q & A on her website.  She answers questions from regular Joe's out there about all sorts of things.  I have come to recognize that I have allowed one of our horses, Sonny, to have absolutely no respect for me.  I am not real confident in my "horsemanship" and he has figured me out.  I am going to continue educating myself and hopefully gain some confidence.  I really do enjoy riding the horses and even enjoy just going out there in the pasture to pet them and smell them.  Does that make me weird that I love the way a horse smells?  Sorry, but I do.........Oh come on, you know you like to get a good whiff of them too!  Oh and all of that horse tack....the leather....Ahhh what a great smell!  It smells much better than all of these musky bucks running around here these days ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love foals. Have you seen the movie/documentary Buck? Very very good...you should watch it. He is amazing. Hope all is well. :) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the film. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for telling me about it :)
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers :)