Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Getting started young!

Yesterday was FEC day. I walked around the farm with my cooler and collected samples in ziploc bags. We had battled the scours about 1 month ago around here, which ended up being coccidiosis. We have a few young bucklings that have started again, so there's only one way to find out the culprit....Look at it under the microscope. I guess it's a blessing that I absolutely loved any form of science in high school and college. ( My nursing experience has come in quite handy for the farm as well.) Most people just look at me cross-eyed when I tell them that I look at goat "poop" under the microscope. Personally, I think it is the best tool here on our farm. No guessing...


Training them young....Dillon appears to be as interested in scientific things as myself. He said, "Mom are there any eggs in there?" Wonder what he'll be teaching the kids at school now.

Ended up finding quite a few of coccidia in several samples. I'm beginning to wonder if those nice cement water pads are a good thing for the goats. We've not had this sort of issue until they were installed. The verdict is still out on that one.
Yesterday a pup followed Jael way out into the pasture and ended up getting caught in the middle of all of the goats. I noticed it was missing from the rest of the litter. When I got out into the field, it was just hanging out there with the goats by itself. Jael went back to her other pups. It has started taking it's job very seriously at such a young age :) I thought it was pretty neat to see it out there in the middle of the goats, like that is where it belonged.


See if you can spot the little LGD in the picture below.... The grass almost swallows it up completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers :)