Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sweating like a pig

I went for a walk this morning and took my camera along with me.  I thought I'd share some of the sights I see in the morning time.  The picture below is our doe herd walking along the "cow trail" right after they got up from their bedding spot by the pond.  They were on their way to get minerals to start their day.




Below is a mineral feeder that Shane made to put out in the pastures.  The horses, goats, and cows are all able to use them.  I believe it was constructed with the bottom of a 55 gallon drum, a large bolt through the center, and a large rubber flap.  Most of the things constructed around here come from supplies that were to be thrown away at Shane's workplace.  What is that old saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure"?  It couldn't be more true than that!


After getting their mineral fix for the morning, the goats headed out to one of the cut-over spots in the back forty.  Thank goodness for these areas with brush.  This summer's drought has been brutal to our pastures productivity.  The meteorologist on the weather this morning said that rain was in our forecast for the next 3 days.  We definitely could use it.

Can you see the goats?



After walking around ,watching, and following the goats, I realized I needed to get back home and do a little house cleaning.  I turned around and realized that I had to climb a monster hill.  Ok.....so maybe it's not a monster hill to some, but to me it is definitely a monster hill.  By the time I made it to the top, I decided I will take the Kawasaki mule next time to make my rounds.  Then I had to remind myself why I'm not taking the mule to do rounds.  Exercise.  I simply do not enjoy it... No ifs, ands, or buts about it; It is necessary to get one's body and mind healthy though.  So for now, I will stick with it and whine and complain while doing it.  Oh and I will sweat like a pig too.  ( Yes, I know pigs don't sweat.....it's just something folks say around here, so I guess I will say it too.)  
 
Good luck in climbing your hills (whatever they may be) today!  Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm right with you. I need to start walking to help strengthen my back and keep my Sadie from scratching at the window with those sad, puppy-dog eyes! Sheesh! Hope you get the rain. We are in a cool period, but 90's are back for Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers :)